Saturday, February 27, 2010

Micro-blogging

As far as micro-blogging, I was scared that there would be a lot of spam and a lot of non-sense that the students wouldn't use. As I read the two articles "7 Things You Should Know About Mirco-Blogging" and the article about "Edmodo". The first article, "7 things" made me think that it could be good in the class. It would be for the students who are scared to speak in class, instead they would want to "tweet" rather than actaully speak up. But again, I ran into conflicts within myself about spam and them actually not using it for educational resources. "Edmodo" solved the problems that I was having. Edmodo is a closed group collaboration. With this closed group collaboration, there is a secret password for the students to use in order to get into that group. Things that the teacher and the students can use the mircoblogging for would be asking questions, making points, and also such things as polls and reminders about upcoming events such as tests and projects.

Overall, I was impressed with information from those two articles. Before reading them I would never want to use the mircoblogging within the classroom. It always seemed a little over the edge for me, especially with the idea that they will have access to every twitter account. But the idea of "Edmodo" made it a little better!

1 comment:

  1. I think using Twitter in a middle or high school classroom could be pretty risky, but, I agree with you that Edmodo sounds like a good alternative and offers some great potential as a learning tool.
    Dr. Burgos

    ReplyDelete