Friday, January 29, 2010

Did you know?

I watched the short video on YouTube called "Did you know". Some of the facts that were mentioned in the short video totally blew my mind. I feel that the number one thing that I could not believe that was in 2006, if MySpace was a country it would be the 8th largest country in the world.

http://www.mateel.org/myspace.gif

I wonder what MySpace and Facebook are at today. I could not believe that one single social networking site had the potential to be the eight largest country in the whole world. Currently, Nigeria is the 8th largest country [by population] in the world. Below is the country and the flag from Nigeria. I wonder what the MySpace flag would look like?


http://www.site.nigeriafifa2009.com/images/nigeria.gif


http://faizbash.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/nigeria-flag.jpg

The second thing that I found, I believe I want to say more hysterical than compelling would be that 2.7 billion searchers happen in one month on Google. The BG (Before Google) really makes me wonder. What did we do before Google? I would always ask my dad and it would depend on whether or not he knew. I also feel like I didn't ask too many questions or have to figure as much out BG. Maybe I wasn't as curious as I am today.


http://www.expertsem.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/google.jpg

Of the Google products listed above in the picture, I use Google [the original search engine], Google talk [to talk to my best friend in Germany], Google Calendar [for me to stay organized everyday], and Gmail pretty much every day. I would now like to take the time to thank Google. Thank you Google.


Now that I am 22, going on 23, I just counted the number of jobs that I have held since I have been 15. Including the two sub positions I currently hold, I have worked 8 jobs since I have been 15. I feel like that I am on my way to fulfilling the stat of: 10-14 jobs by the age of 38. Especially in today's economy, people are being laid off and have to find other jobs. Not only that but they may have to pick up a second job to support their families, or themselves.


http://www.biojobblog.com/JobSearchNewspaper.jpg


The two things that really didn't shock me at all about this short video are the new majors that are being developed that were not around 10 years ago. We live in an ever changing world, and studying in college will prepare those students for something that is going to happen in the future and we may not even know what it is. The last thing that didn't really shock me would be that 70% of 4 year-olds have used a computer. I think this may be because I have a little 3 year old cousin who doesn't really know how to use it but he watches videos and tries to play games. He really doesn't understand HOW to use it but like I said, he knows that the information is there for him.


http://www.doh.state.fl.us/Planning_eval/Vital_Statistics/baby_on_computer.jpg


With all of this being said, technology in the classroom is pretty much like a dinosaur compared to other aspects of a student's life. Students use google, email, social networking, youtube, and other internet resource sin every day life. Why do teachers have such a hard time using these technologies in the class room?

4 comments:

  1. I loved your reflections and the images especially the one of the baby.

    As to what people did BG, we looked things up in encyclopedias and then in online encyclopedias, but there was never the availability to satiate one's curiosity that exists today!

    Please check your blogroll. Many of the sites you linked to are not permanent blogs where one can comment of the posts. Please check each one carefully. Some are useful sites, but not blogs. Put the useful links in a different group and please find some more blogs.

    Dr. Burgos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren,

    I was "blown away" by the video as well. It's amazing where we've come from in the last few years... and where we are going.

    Your blogs are fun to read and I am catching up to speed with this class and technology by looking at what you do. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun reflection to read! I enjoyed your comments (and eye-catching photos) that related to specific parts of the video. It was an interesting read to look more in depth into some of the quick facts that flew before our eyes. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all of the encouraging comments. My friend, who is a Media Study major here at UB said that he watched the same video in his class! So we were then able to have a discussion about it outside of this 'classroom' and his classroom. It was very interesting!!!

    ReplyDelete