Sunday, January 24, 2010
Blogging in Professional Development
I believe that if a teacher blogs after every day, kind of like a journal than they will be able to see what is working in the classroom and what isn't working in the classroom. If the blog has been around for long enough, the teacher will also compare last year's classroom to their current classroom. I think it is a good idea for a teacher to start a blog, even if it is just for personal use. This would be good for personal reflection. When I was student teaching, I would always talk with the teacher I was paired with and reflect on the day, or even a certain class. I think that it was real helpful. I plan on always reflecting, even if it is with myself and a blog is a great way to do it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Lauren,
ReplyDeleteBlogging for reflection on student teaching is a very useful thing to do, as long as you don't make the reflections about specific students.
Now how about 2 other ideas for blogging.
Dr. Burgos
Lauren,
ReplyDeleteI never thought about using blogging for teacher reflection. This is a great idea! I like the accessibility of your blog. It's bright and organized.
Thanks for the idea!
One other idea I have for the blog are using it for the students to communicate with you. This can be used in many different ways. One it an be used when the students are absent. They will be able to post a blog asking what they missed in class. Since the other students have access to the blog they can answer the absent student or the teacher can answer the student. It can also be helpful to the students for when the teacher is absent. Questions about a project or about an idea that was in class can also be answered on the blog.
ReplyDeleteOne last way I would use the blog in the classroom would be for the students to write a "history" of the classes. Each day I would assign a student to write a "history" of the classroom. This idea I received from one of my college professors that always had us write a history of the class. It was interesting to see the different perspectives that everyone wrote about. Also different people put emphasize on different aspects of the classroom.
Writing a history of your class is an interesting way of getting students to reflect. Plus, it give you, the teacher, an indication of which portions of your lessons were most powerful for which students. It could offer valuable clues to learning styles and effective teaching techniques if used over time!
ReplyDeleteLauren,
ReplyDeleteThe idea of a "history" of the class is interesting, but I'm not sure that I understand exactly what that means. Could you explain a little further.
Thanks,
Dr. Burgos
What it means is that the students write down what happened during the class. I have never actually used this technique in the class but I think it would be great to see what the students think happened during the class.
ReplyDeleteJust saying, "writing a history" sounds more fun to do than "tell me what happened in class". Well, at least it does to me :]